As director, I am pleased to inform you that today the website for the Study Contemporary Muslim Lives Research Hub at Macquarie University was officially launched.
Study Contemporary Muslim Lives (SCML) is a research hub based within the Department of Anthropology at Macquarie University. It undertakes research on social, cultural and political aspects of contemporary Muslim communities and societies and is committed to the advancement of social scientific understandings of Muslim lives in different social and geographical contexts through excellent empirical research, scholarly publications, and active postgraduate programs.
SCML also has, among other activities, a Visiting Scholar Program. SCML welcomes applications from academics who want to carry out research as visiting scholars at Macquarie University. Visitors participate in and enrich the research-intensive and vibrant communal life of the Research Hub, which is part of the Department of Anthropology. Continue reading
- The Middle East conflict: a difficult case of schismogenesis? September 25, 2011In this episode I discuss the lack of progress in the Middle East peace process and the reasons for which, if what Gregory Bateson called schismogenesis is not addressed, there is very few hope that the conflict might be resolved.
- Debating Multiculturalism-episode 1 September 8, 2011This is a series of episodes that will debate whether multiculturalism has failed or not in both Europe and Southeast Asia
- The hidden pharmaceutical business of war September 1, 2011This episode discusses one aspect of contemporary war which has been often been overlooked by both academics and journalists: the case of the pharmaceutical industry and its expansion during the Afghan and Iraq wars.
- The Libya revolt, tribal segmentation and difficult future August 25, 2011In this episode I discuss the Libyan revolt and the, not so often highlighted, extreme tribal segmentation within the region. In which way will such divisions among tribes and clans may affect the future of the country?
- The Middle East conflict: a difficult case of schismogenesis? September 25, 2011
- RT @shunradan: The Israeli-linked firm that sold Big Brother machines to Mubarak, Qaddafi, and Washington mondoweiss.net/2013/06/machin… 4 hours ago
- RT @steveplrose: French skinheads kicked a pregnant Muslim woman in the stomach in a vicious assault for wearing a veil. #Islamophobia http… 4 hours ago
- The DrMarranci Daily is out! paper.li/DrMarranci ▸ Top stories today via @DawudIsrael @Martijn5155 13 hours ago
- RT @AJEnglish: 'Dozens dead' in car bomb attack in Aleppo aje.me/1alaBKU 1 day ago
- Anthropology and colonialism in Asia and OceaniaSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- "HIGHER EDUCATION AND MUSLIM YOUTH"See it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Perceptions of the Holocaust in Europe and Muslim Communities - SpringerSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- "Justice for All: American Muslims, Sharia Law, and Maintaining Comity with American Jurisprudence"See it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Crisis of Identity in a Multi-cultural Society "The Case of Muslims in Canada" by Syed Serajul IslamSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Anthropology and colonialism in Asia and Oceania
TopicsAustralia Bangladesh Bateson Berlusconi book Buddhism Burma Civilization culture democracy dystopia education Fatwa France freedom of speech fundamentalists Gaza Geert Wilders Gordon Brown Human Rights ideology Islam jihad justice Lega Nord Libya Mosque Myanmar NATO Nazism Obama Policy Exchange Politics racism radicalism Religion Singapore Sydney Taliban Terrorism the US tribes US utopia violence