I have written before about Burma (Myanmar) and its persecuted Rohingya population as well as the lack of interest both in the ASEAN countries as well as in the western mass media (see The other, invisible suffering of Burma, Rohingya Odyssey: a silent cultural genocide?, Rohingya Muslims and injustice: a security issue, Rohingyas: not solely a political problem, Selling lives: Rohingyas face deportation from Bangladesh). Since June, Burma and its Rohingya Muslim population have attracted a wider mass media presence. On May 28, in a village in the central part of Rakhine State, three Muslim members of the Rohingya ethnic group allegedly raped and killed a Buddhist woman. Retaliation did not take long and on June 3, a group of Arakan attacked a bus carrying Rohingya in southern Rakhine and 10 people were killed. Continue reading
- The Middle East conflict: a difficult case of schismogenesis? September 25, 2011In this episode I discuss the lack of progress in the Middle East peace process and the reasons for which, if what Gregory Bateson called schismogenesis is not addressed, there is very few hope that the conflict might be resolved.
- Debating Multiculturalism-episode 1 September 8, 2011This is a series of episodes that will debate whether multiculturalism has failed or not in both Europe and Southeast Asia
- The hidden pharmaceutical business of war September 1, 2011This episode discusses one aspect of contemporary war which has been often been overlooked by both academics and journalists: the case of the pharmaceutical industry and its expansion during the Afghan and Iraq wars.
- The Libya revolt, tribal segmentation and difficult future August 25, 2011In this episode I discuss the Libyan revolt and the, not so often highlighted, extreme tribal segmentation within the region. In which way will such divisions among tribes and clans may affect the future of the country?
- The Middle East conflict: a difficult case of schismogenesis? September 25, 2011
- The DrMarranci Daily is out! paper.li/DrMarranci ▸ Top stories today via @sarahkendzior @RoseS_Aslan 23 hours ago
- RT @haaretzcom: Websites attract growing number of non-Jews seeking to discover their ancestors’ Jewish footprints bit.ly/10vsXHn 1 day ago
- RT @BBCWorld: Medical journal @TheLancet publishes open letter calling for independent medical care in Guantanamo bbc.in/18YvoWJ 1 day ago
- RT @shunradan: The Israeli-linked firm that sold Big Brother machines to Mubarak, Qaddafi, and Washington mondoweiss.net/2013/06/machin… 1 day ago
- Anthropology and colonialism in Asia and OceaniaSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- "HIGHER EDUCATION AND MUSLIM YOUTH"See it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Perceptions of the Holocaust in Europe and Muslim Communities - SpringerSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- "Justice for All: American Muslims, Sharia Law, and Maintaining Comity with American Jurisprudence"See it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Crisis of Identity in a Multi-cultural Society "The Case of Muslims in Canada" by Syed Serajul IslamSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Anthropology and colonialism in Asia and Oceania
TopicsAustralia Bangladesh Bateson Berlusconi book Buddhism Burma Civilization culture democracy dystopia education Fatwa France freedom of speech fundamentalists Gaza Geert Wilders Gordon Brown Human Rights ideology Islam jihad justice Lega Nord Libya Mosque Myanmar NATO Nazism Obama Policy Exchange Politics racism radicalism Religion Singapore Sydney Taliban Terrorism the US tribes US utopia violence