In the last few days the debates about religion, and in particular Islam, has unusually increased in Singapore thanks to the words of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, whom has urged Muslims to ‘be less strict’ in his new book “Hard Truths”. This has provoked strong reactions within not only the Malay Muslim communities but also among all Singaporeans. I have no space here to go into detail about the complex social alchemy of Singapore’s multiculturalism. Yet allow me to highlight some of the main aspects needed for my observations below. One of the main factors to remember is that Singapore multiculturalism is affected by a rigid administrative classification of the population according to the categories of race (Chinese, Malay, Indian and Others or CMIO) and religion (mainly Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Christianity and Hinduism). Continue reading
- The Middle East conflict: a difficult case of schismogenesis? September 25, 2011In this episode I discuss the lack of progress in the Middle East peace process and the reasons for which, if what Gregory Bateson called schismogenesis is not addressed, there is very few hope that the conflict might be resolved.
- Debating Multiculturalism-episode 1 September 8, 2011This is a series of episodes that will debate whether multiculturalism has failed or not in both Europe and Southeast Asia
- The hidden pharmaceutical business of war September 1, 2011This episode discusses one aspect of contemporary war which has been often been overlooked by both academics and journalists: the case of the pharmaceutical industry and its expansion during the Afghan and Iraq wars.
- The Libya revolt, tribal segmentation and difficult future August 25, 2011In this episode I discuss the Libyan revolt and the, not so often highlighted, extreme tribal segmentation within the region. In which way will such divisions among tribes and clans may affect the future of the country?
- The Middle East conflict: a difficult case of schismogenesis? September 25, 2011
- The DrMarranci Daily is out! paper.li/DrMarranci ▸ Top stories today via @pacoalmarcha @JasonAntrosio 9 hours ago
- The DrMarranci Daily is out! paper.li/DrMarranci ▸ Top stories today via @AllanAnthro 1 day ago
- The DrMarranci Daily is out! paper.li/DrMarranci ▸ Top stories today via @rabayl @jblresearch @culanth 2 days ago
- The DrMarranci Daily is out! paper.li/DrMarranci ▸ Top stories today via @pqpolitics @salmaan_H 3 days ago
- Anthropology and colonialism in Asia and OceaniaSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- "HIGHER EDUCATION AND MUSLIM YOUTH"See it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Perceptions of the Holocaust in Europe and Muslim Communities - SpringerSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- "Justice for All: American Muslims, Sharia Law, and Maintaining Comity with American Jurisprudence"See it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Crisis of Identity in a Multi-cultural Society "The Case of Muslims in Canada" by Syed Serajul IslamSee it on Scoop.it, via Islam, Muslims and Anthropology
- Anthropology and colonialism in Asia and Oceania
TopicsAustralia Bangladesh Bateson Berlusconi book Buddhism Burma Civilization culture democracy dystopia education Fatwa France freedom of speech fundamentalists Gaza Geert Wilders Gordon Brown Human Rights ideology Islam jihad justice Lega Nord Libya Mosque Myanmar NATO Nazism Obama Policy Exchange Politics racism radicalism Religion Singapore Sydney Taliban Terrorism the US tribes US utopia violence